Friday, January 1, 2010

Ring in the New Year - with books!

I've decided to read a book a week for my new year's resolution; not only that, but also to reflect on what I read. Inspired by a man who did the same and a woman who did a bit too much, I wanted to have a goal I had to keep for an entire year. Hopefully, having a blog will force me to keep up with my goal, as well as inspire a few discussions with friends.

Moving back home, graduating college, and a break-up forced me to reconsider what's important to me. I hope to gain something from this year and take the time to document and learn from each book I read.

Now, any recommendations?

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!!!!
    Your tempting me to try it as well.

    I just finished reading 'The Help' which I liked. It's set in Jackson Mississippi in the early 70s and follows the story line of black maids and the white women they serve.

    Now reading: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

    And books that I've liked in the past: The Raw Shark Text, Girl With a Dragon Tattoo (LOVED THAT ONE + sequel), Water for Elephants

    My mom is sitting here and recommends 'Night of the Gun'
    Dad recommends 'Invisible Man'

    :) hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I just realized I was signed into my mom's google account but it's me, Caitlin! ahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do it Caitlin! It will be easier for us to keep our goal if we're both reading.

    I will have to look into the books you've mentioned. I've heard about half of them. I read Invisible Man years ago and loved it.

    Let me know if you find any other good books! I have a TON of reading to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey linds! cool idea... i recommend Half the Sky, by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn.

    ReplyDelete